Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer bucket list

When Joke posted a summer bucket list on her blog, I was inspired to do the same thing. (Mind you, 'inspired' is not the same as 'motivated' because it took me ages to get my butt on here and actually post the thing.) I'm sure mine will be nowhere near as impressive as hers since Klaas and I don't seem to be as outdoorsy as her and Gary, but I still felt like compiling a list to document our summer. It will serve as a testimony that we're hip and busy people too!

Now, as summer is already 1/4 over (I haz a sad :'(), I am also including the things we've already done so far.

1. Disneyland
Klaas and I went to Disneyland for three days with my parents, brother and cousin. We left the last day of the school year and stayed until Monday. My parents had actually taken me and my brother there once before, although I can't really remember how old I was back then. Anyway, it was a long time ago, so in a way this trip was like going to Disneyland for the very first time. We had a lot of fun staying in our own cabin. Klaas took some pictures while we were there, so I'll make another post entirely about the trip sometime next week.
2. My birthday party
Seeing as it was birthday just a few days before finals started, I didn't get to celebrate with my family on my actual birthday. Instead I invited them over the weekend after our Disneyland trip (i.e. last weekend). It was a perfect sunshiny day, we had delicious cakes and our dogs had a lot of fun chasing frisbees. Klaas forgot to take pictures though. :-(

3. BBQ at Klaas's mom's
Klaas's mom just finished her B&B (an artistic cabin in their garden) and invited the entire family at a barbecue Friday night to show us how it all turned out. It was soooo cold. We were all huddled up in jackets, scarves and blankets, but it was so cozy. I love spending time at this side of  Klaas's family, so I didn't mind the cold very much.
 
4. Go on more walks with Flo and Juul
I guess this one is pretty self-explanatory.

5. BBQ at our house
Klaas and I have invited our friends over for a barbecue next weekend. We're very excited about this and looking forward to having our friends over again. It's not often that you get to meet up with all your friends at once and we're very happy that most of them (not all of them :() can make it. I hope the weather will be warm, because it would be a bummer to have to do the actual eating inside.

6. Paris
This is a big question mark. Klaas has never actually been to Paris (No, Klaas, Disneyland doesn't count!) which I think is such a shame. I was thinking about planning a three-day trip to the City of Love, but I'm having second thoughts. August can be miserably hot in Paris and with nowhere to cool off, it might not be such a good idea to go there. Too much sun and heat makes me uncomfortable and it would be a shame not to go out during the day when you're in a city like Paris... We're still going back and forth on this thought, so we'll see what we end up deciding.
7. Go to the beach
When Flo was about 3 months old, Klaas and I went to the beach with her and took her for a walk along the shore.
She wasn't too fond of the water though, something about strong winds, the loud sounds of the waves and her paws getting wet. Still, now that we also have Juul, we'd really like to go to the beach again. We're thinking about only leaving in the afternoon or even nearly at dinnertime, so that the beach is almost empty when we get there. We're also going to look into whether there are beaches that allow you to walk your dog off their leash, because that's always fun to do.

8. Have my/our picture taken by Joke
She may not be aware of it yet, but I fully intend on meeting up with Joke in August to get our pictures taken. There's something about that field right by her new apartment that screams: "Hey, look at me, I'm a field, and I'm nice to stand in whilst taking pictures!"

9. Go to IKEA
I'm in the process of decluttering our house. All of a sudden, I'm very annoyed with how long it takes for me to decently dust and clean this place. So basically, everything has to go. Klaas is with me on this one, although for him, this means passively watching his wife making plans, looking things up and running around frantically trying to sort things out. These three cd racks, for instance, are driving me crazy.
They're just standing there, taking up space. They're also very fond of dust and dog hair and it's impossible to clean under there.
Ewwww.
Which is why they have to go. Instead, I'm going to get something along the lines of these IKEA boxes to sort all of the DVDs that are now in the CD racks. The boxes, in turn, will go in the dresser next to the racks. (Bear in mind that this means decluttering the dresser. It's a good thing I have the entire summer off from work.)
While in IKEA, I'm also going to get two large Ribba frames (we had actually bought two, but used them to give our parents an enlarged wedding picture) and a bunch of extra smaller frames for the wedding collage I'm planning. Klaas is getting rid of his aquarium, which means that I'll finally have a dresser to put decorative stuff on AND that the wall behind the dresser will be empty and frame-ready.

10. Klaas's dad's birthday
There's very little I actually know about what will happen on this day. I only know that we are expected to clear our schedules on the last Saturday of summer, that we'll get a guided tour of Ghent and that "those suffering from seasickness should take a pill for it"...

11. Garden extravaganza
This has actually been a work in progress since last month. We've bought a concrete wood-look fence to line the back of our garden and part of the side, but the construction of it is a lot of hard work. We're doing everything ourselves because having it done by the people that sold it to us would've cost us more than double. Again, this deserves its own post once the entire project is finished, which will probably be somewhere in August...
Once the fence is up, we'll have to replant the bushes that we planted last year (we had to dig them up because they would've gotten trampled during the project) and we're also going to look into which border(stone)s we want to sort of enclose the back strip of our garden containing the bushes. We don't want any grass growing in between our bushes, so we're probably going to buy a tarp and mulch. Cutting holes in the tarp for our bushes to grow through should ensure that we don't get any weeds or grass in there...

12. Get a chicken coop and chickens
This is actually part of our garden extravaganza. I don't know why, but for some reason, the previous owners of our house poured concrete in the far right corner of our garden. (Our house is an L-shape and the longest leg of that L runs straight to the back of our garden. Behind the house, there's a good 8 by 4 meters of that concrete left). There was also a brick dog house there, so maybe it was some sort of DIY kennel? Anyway, seeing as this is a somewhat "forgotten" corner of our garden because it's so out of sight, we thought it was the ideal place to put a chicken coop. When our fence is done, we're going to enclose this space with garden wire fencing, buy a chicken coop, adopt some chickens (of course) and hopefully soon have our own eggs to cook and bake with. I'm sooo looking forward to this!
13. Taking a walk by the Molenbeek
I just asked Klaas what he wanted to do this summer and this is what he told me (along with going to the beach). I think he probably saw pictures of this brook on internet and now wants to go take pictures of it himself. :-)

14. Going for a picnic
We don't go on a picnic enough. I surprised Klaas with one last year and it was so much fun. We went to the park that is just around the corner from our house and had macaroni salad while watching all the scary ducks and geese.

This is all I can think of for now, but I'm sure we'll randomly add stuff to the list as we go. We never really plan a lot of activities when Klaas is off from work, because we rather enjoy just being at home and spending time with each other (and our pets :-)).

Do you have any thoughts on places we can visit in a day? I'm open to suggestions!

3 comments :

  1. De Blaarmeersen, als het nog eens goed weer is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maar Klaas noemt dat 'plage tatouage' en dus durf ik daar niet in badpak gaan rondlopen. :P

      Delete
  2. Die CD rekjes ... oh me oh my! Een overblijfsel uit de jaren '90 I presume? :)

    ReplyDelete