Saturday, July 20, 2013

A lifelong dream

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to become a mother. My mom often tells me that when I was little and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would answer "mommy". Ever since I started dating, I've always been searching for the right person to start a family with. I've always been counting down the years until it was my turn, until I was old and mature enough (haha!) to have children of my own.

When Klaas came along 5.5 years ago, I found that person. However, children were not on the agenda. I was in my first year of university and Klaas was just starting his first fulltime job. So I kept waiting.

Then suddenly it was June 2011. I got my Master's degree and Klaas and I bought our first house together. I found a job and we started life as adults, paying a mortgage and juggling jobs and a household. We talked about babies, but decided the time wasn't right yet. I hadn't worked long enough yet and so we weren't ready financially. In early January 2012, we got engaged. We picked December 12th as our wedding day, so we figured that trying to have a baby probably wasn't such a good idea, what with having to wear a wedding dress and all.

When our wedding day had come and gone, the time had finally come. I got off the pill and we started trying. I was, of course, very impatient (Impatient is actually my middle name) and I couldn't wait to finally see that little pink plus sign and have life growing inside of me.

And then it happened. On May 18th, at 6am, I was holding a positive pregnancy test. The second line was still very faint, but it was there. Two days later, a digital pregnancy test confirmed that I was 4-5 weeks along.

And now we're here. The first twelve weeks are over, which means that I am officially in my second trimester. Sometimes I feel as though time has flown by, but at the same time, it also felt really slow because we wanted to keep it a secret. Starting from week 6 or 7, I've had morning sickness, but luckily I never threw up. So far that's only happened once, earlier this week (12 weeks along - go figure!) and it probably happened because I wasn't used to the prenatal vitamins I had just started taking. I'm now looking for a different brand that is easier on the stomach.

Although I'm still not feeling 100% (I still get nauseous sometimes and my headaches and dizziness haven't gone down yet, although I'm hoping that has something to do with the heat), I do feel extremely grateful. I'm so excited about starting a family of our own and I can't wait to find out if we're having a boy or a girl and to feel his or her first kicks.

3 comments :

  1. Ik blijf het zeggen, maar yay yay yay! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nogmaals proficiat, boke! Kijk er al naar uit om het kleintje te zien. :)

    ReplyDelete