Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Going private

Most bloggers posting about going private say it's been a long time coming. I can't. I felt perfectly comfortable having my blog 'out there' for everyone to read. I made sure I never posted anything I wouldn't want strangers to know, and it's not like I have that many readers anyway. One thing I didn't start this blog for was to attract readers. Still, I've noticed that hitting that Publish button has resulted in regularly checking page views and comments, which takes away a large part of the fun. In some of my posts, I've talked about how I intended to write this blog mainly for journaling purposes. This is still the case. I like the idea of turning my blog posts into a book at the end of each year so we eventually end up with a kind of yearly family journal. I think going private will also benefit my motivation to blog. It's not about the readers anymore, instead it's about documenting our everyday lives.

Another reason I've now made up my mind about going private is that in a good 10 weeks, we'll have a new addition to our family. It's one thing to put ourselves out there, but it's another to do the same thing when it comes to our baby. Anyone can read this blog and see the pictures I post and when I think about what that could mean when we have a baby, I just don't feel comfortable anymore. Who knows where these pictures and stories can end up?

So, that's it, I guess. I'll be turning this blog into a private one in the weekend of December 21st. If you would still like to continue reading, send me your email address on Facebook or post it in the comments below. I will then send you an invitation to my (our) private blog, which you'll have to accept. To be able to permanently access the blog, you'll need a Google account (i.e. a Gmail email address). I realize this seems like a lot of work, but it's basically just signing up for a Gmail account and then using that address to log into our blog. You don't have to use it for anything else if you don't want to.

If you have any questions left, feel free to ask!

2 comments :